Christmas isn’t complete without a plateful of sugar cookies waiting to be frosted. And, without a doubt, nothing beats a deliciously frosted sugar cookie. And, let’s be honest, the icing makes or breaks it.
The recipe we are about to describe has a silky, creamy consistency and a sweet vanilla flavor. It is the ideal topping for sugar cookies of any variety. This easy, top-rated sugar cookie frosting recipe will become your go-to in no time.
Let’s jump right into the recipe for Sugar Cookie Frosting Recipe.
Sugar Cookie Frosting Recipe
This homemade frosting is easily assembled with pantry staples. The only ingredients required are butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. As a result, it is far superior to the store-bought variety, which consists of oil, syrups, and additives.
Let’s know the whole Sugar Cookie Frosting Recipe!
- Preparation – 15 Mins
- Cook: 0 mins
- Total: 15 mins
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix the softened butter in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on medium-high speed (setting 8) for 30 seconds or until smooth. Scrape down the bowl’s sides.
- Combine the powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons of milk, and vanilla essence in a mixing bowl. 15 seconds on the lowest speed (stir setting) until mixed.
- Mix for two minutes at medium-high speed (setting 8) until fluffy. Halfway through mixing, scrape the bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of milk and mix on medium-high speed (setting 8) for 15 to 30 seconds until smooth and fluffy.
- For a thinner frosting, add an additional 1 teaspoon of milk and mix for 15 seconds on medium-high speed. Add additional milk to achieve the required consistency.
- To make a thicker frosting, add 1 tablespoon powdered sugar and mix on medium-high speed (setting 8) for 15 seconds or until smooth. Add more powdered sugar as needed to achieve the required consistency.
- Use the frosting as-is, or add gel or food coloring and stir well. Use immediately or wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate if not consumed immediately.
How to Store Leftover Sugar Cookie Frosting:
Any leftover icing should be refrigerated in an airtight container. Due to the milk content, it must be refrigerated once it has been out at room temperature for more than 2 hours. Hold off on using it until it reaches a temperature slightly below room temperature or until it can be spread, and then give it a good stir.
Tips For Sugar Cookie Frosting:
- Utilize butter that has been melted but remains cool to the touch. The butter should be soft enough for easy blending but not so soft that it begins to lose its shape and dissolve.
- If the powdered sugar is lumpy, sift it. There may be some little lumps throughout, depending on the brand of powdered sugar you use.
- This frosting can be easily thickened or thinned by using additional powdered sugar (to thicken) or more milk (to thin) (to thin).
- Divide the icing into several bowls and color with food coloring. Divide each color once more to make the outline and flood icings.
This was all about the sugar cookie frosting recipe. This certainly is the best-ever frosting on sugar cookies! It hardens without becoming very crunchy, is flavored with vanilla, and can be tinted to match any celebration.
We hope you like the recipe. Let us know your thoughts & suggestions in the comments below!
Thank you for reading!